Dental Implants North York
Dental Implants in North York
If one or more of your teeth are missing, using dental implants is one of the many ways you can replace them. Missing teeth can be caused by decay, trauma or aging.
Our dentists have been providing high quality dental care for over 40 years. If you qualify to receive dental implants, our dentist will explain every step of the process before any work begins.
We keep people as comfortable as possible with a combination of anesthesia and sedation depending on the person. Visit our office in North York for an initial consultation.
What is a dental implant?
A dental implant is an artificial root made up of titanium metal that’s inserted into the jawbone. It replaces the root of the natural tooth.
Dental implants are a permanent solution to missing teeth and a convenient alternative to dentures. The titanium post is inserted below the gum line through surgery and capped with a crown or a bridge (false teeth that replace missing teeth).
What are the main benefits of dental implants?
Here are a few of the many benefits of dental implants:
- Have an indistinguishable look, feel and function to natural teeth
- Improves your appearance and confidence
- Protects your teeth and jawbone
- Provides overall oral health
- Replaces teeth all at once
- Improves bone quality
- Provides more comfort
- Lasts a lifetime
Who can get dental implants?
Unfortunately, not everyone can necessarily get dental implants. They are a great solution for people who are generally in good health, have healthy gums and have enough bone in the jaw to hold an implant.
If your jaw bone has shrunk or not developed normally, you may be able to add new bone to your jawbone through a bone graft. Our cosmetic dentist will tell you if this can be done.
How are dental implants done?
These are the steps the dentist will take to do the procedure:
- Carefully examine your mouth and take x-rays of your head, jaw and teeth to find out if dental implants are right for you.
- During the first stage of surgery, the dentist will put a dental implant in your jawbone beneath the gum tissue. As the tissue heals, the implant will bond with the bone and attach to the gum. This can take a few months to heal.
- Once the tissue is healed, the dentist will place an abutment to the implant. An abutment is a post that connects the replacement tooth to the implant.
- Next, the artificial replacement tooth is made by the dentist and attached to the abutment. This process could take a few appointments until the replacement tooth properly fits with the abutment.
- A fixed bridge is anchored to your dental implants.
Dental implants are a permanent solution to tooth loss caused by decay, trauma, or aging. An alternative to dentures, implants are a solution indistinguishable in look, feel, and function to natural teeth. They consist of a titanium post that is surgically inserted below the gum line and capped with a crown or bridge. The post fuses with your jaw, providing a solution for a lifetime.
What to Expect
At Downsview Dental our experienced team has been providing the GTA with the best dental care for over 40-years, so you can feel comfortable turning to us for your implant procedures. At an appointment, the dentist will discuss every step of the process with you before any work begins. During the procedures themselves, you will be made as comfortable as possible with an individualized combination of anesthesia and sedation.
Call us today at 416-742-9804 to schedule your consultation.