Denture Clinic in North York
What are dentures?
If you are missing teeth, dentures or partial plates are artificial replacements for your natural teeth. Dentures can restore your speech, allow you to eat the foods you love and bring back your confidence by bringing back your wonderful smile.
Why do some people need dentures?
The three most common reasons why people may need dentures are because of:
- Decay: suffering from tooth decay for years can lead to your teeth falling out
- Gum disease: can result in the loss of teeth if it is left untreated
- Injuries: a facial injury can result in multiple teeth falling out or becoming seriously damaged
It’s not just older people who could be missing teeth. Injuries often lead many adults to lose one or a few teeth at a younger age.
The two types of dentures
The two types of dentures are partial dentures and complete dentures. For both types, the dentist will make a model of your teeth by taking impressions, or molds.
Partial dentures are made up of artificial teeth held in place by clasps that fit on nearby natural teeth. They are used only when nearby teeth are not strong enough to hold a bridge or when more than just a few teeth are missing. You can easily take out the partial denture by yourself to clean at night.
Complete dentures are what most people know as “false teeth.” They are also called full dentures and are used when all of your natural teeth are missing. Complete dentures are removable and held in place by a suction.
Benefit of dentures
In addition to restoring your smile and being able to confidently socialize normally in public, dentures have the following benefits:
- Support sagging facial muscles and structures, which can add years to your appearance. Tooth loss always leads to bone loss because all bones need stimulation to maintain density. Dentures help stimulate the jawbone.
- Allow people to eat healthier by enabling them to chew harder foods like apples and nuts. If people are missing teeth, they can only eat soft foods that are often highly processed and offer no nutritional value. This can also compromise their immune system.
- Provide such a natural look with modern technology that it’s hard to tell if someone is wearing a denture.
- Protect the remaining teeth (if there are any) from extensive wear.
- Are one of the most cost-effective treatment options for missing one or more natural teeth.
- Can be removed for proper cleaning and brushing
Having dentures helps people in many ways including restoring their appearance, boosting their confidence and enabling them to eat better food to maintain good health.
If you are missing teeth, dentures or partial plates may be a wonderful option to consider. Dentures can bring back the beautiful look of your smile, restore your speech, and allow you to eat the foods you love. At Downsview Dental we offer several options, so you’re sure to find the solution that fits your needs and lifestyle. We have full dentures that act as a complete replacement set of teeth, and partial dentures for those only missing a few teeth.
What to Expect
Today’s dentures are custom made to perfectly fit your jaw, setting them far apart from the antiquated styles of the past. A mold will be taken of your mouth and the final set will be created to your exact specifications. The first step is booking your free, no-obligation consultation! Call us today at 416-742-9804; we even offer a 10% off discount on dental services to all seniors.